Friday, March 27, 2009

Thing 10


Picture taken by Felix Idan.

I like Flickr, but for a math teacher I really don't see that many uses. I checked out the Fascinating Flickr Assignment to Teach Math blog, but I really didn't see much of a use for it in math unless it is being used for geometry. We haven't done many projects this year in my class, because we have been so testing-oriented. Once testing is over, I think I might use Flickr for a project on Geometry and to introduce Creative Commons and posting attributions. I could probably have students create a slide show or a presentation showing difference 2D and 3D shapes. Then the could lable the parts of each shape on the picture.

On a personal note, I love the idea of saving all of our family photos on Flickr. This could be used to educate my children about their family history. Plus, there are things in photos, other than people, that can help students learn how to use the context clues in the photos to help date them.

When it comes to math, I can't think of many uses, but for other subjects I can. When studying other countries, students can find pictures of other countries. Language Arts teachers could post a picture and that could be their students writing prompt. Each student could have a blog, be required to post the picture (with its atribute) and then thier journal entry. In Life Science, students could have pictures of bones and use those to create a slide show to describe a part of the body or a system from a body. The ideas could go on...I just wish I had more math ideas.

2 comments:

  1. In an older blog post of mine, I have a link to a math class blog that I loved because they were doing the 'scribe' thing. I also love their Flickr widget. Once you click the widget, go to some of the pics and take a look at what the kids did with the photos. I am not a math teacher, but some of it made sense to me. And since you mentioned above how photos "can help students learn how to use the context clues" it seems you are down (down-like in the slang way. You know, like you and visual learning are tight.) with visual learning. Let me know what you think. Again, not being a math teacher myself, I could be totally off, but the idea looks to have potential.
    Here's the link to the Flickr page
    http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=pc40sw07&s=int

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. I may have to see if anyone in my PLN has ideas for using Flickr and images in Math. It's a stretch, to be sure, but I bet there are some ways.

    ReplyDelete