Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Spies Like Us

Spies Like Us by CoolCatTeacher (Vicki Davis) was an almost scarey posting to read. I already knew about some of the problems that misuse of technology could cause, but now I have a whole list going through my mind. I personally have had a student, or somebody, get my cell phone number and leave threatening voice messages and text messages. The scarest part is that someone can block their cell number and then you have to get a court order to find out who it is.

We have also had students create web pages as if they are a teacher and make that web page inappropriate to get the teacher in trouble. I think that is the real downfall of technology progressing so quickly. Someone can take your name, make a website or blog about whatever they want and no one can stop them. I honestly don't think there will be a way to stop them because they will be protected under freedom of speech.

The best way, if not the only way, to protect yourself is to google yourself every couple of months or so.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't that the truth...you just can't trust what these students are going to do. I do know that if you find something out there on the web degrading you, by law, it must be removed. You can actually get web sites shut down that put "bad" things about you on their site! Blogs, on the other hand, are another story. I'm not sure how that works, but I do know that Blogger doesn't allow that to go on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that there are some consequences, but in the case of the student creating a face book or my space account, it was a real hassle. The students went to alternative school, but honestly, I think the teacher should have sued for damages. Kids don't understand that you can't unring a bell. Once that stuff is out there, there is no turning back. Students also don't understand that one thing they do as a joke could ruin the career, finances, and life of an adult.

    ReplyDelete