Monday, June 22, 2009

Thing 23 - The Web 2.0 Experience


I love this course. I think I could take it again and still learn as much as I did the first time. I have actually discussed my frustration of teachers dropping this class with Caroline a number of times. At first, I was embarrassed because I am going to be the only person to finish from my school. Then, I was aggravated because teachers were dropping the course due to "time constraints." We all have a lot going on, but unless you have something come up that you didn't know about...if Caroline could hand in, then others could as well. Caroline rocks!!! She is definitely a teacher, and a fighter who looks into the future. Now, I just feel bad for those who didn't finish the class, because they and their students have missed so much.

I have a hard time picking out my favorite "Thing." Yes, some are more applicable than others, but to me if I put "Things" on my class wiki that my students can use and only a few kids are improved or motivated by those things...then I have done my job.

I hope everyone keeps adding to the Sandbox with their ideas and resources for using these Things in our own classrooms. If we share the load by sharing our ideas, then everyone benefits...especially the students. Keep bloggin!

1 comment:

  1. I rock, eh? Thanks Jessica! I have to be honest...I didn't expect the attrition rate to be what it was for the class. I suppose if one had to pay for the class out of pocket (or the school's pocket), then more would have stuck with it. Then again, they may not have taken it in the first place. I have to ask about our current professional learning and just how undemanding on participants it has become. I think task/performance-based professional learning is perhaps more work than people want to do, which is sad. Personally, I get so much more out of professional learning when I have to apply it immediately.

    Everyone is definitely still open to contribute to the Sandbox wiki. Hopefully, the Web 2.0 idea list will continue to grow as this course is offered again in the future. Here's hoping it becomes a great resource for everyone to draw from as well.

    And perhaps if some of your students go around talking about all of the web applications they are using in your classroom, that might encourage other teachers to try this course and stretch out beyond their comfort zone.

    Your kids will definitely benefit from what you're doing, and as I've offered before, if you need help, let me know. Thanks for taking the course and I'm so pleased that you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete